Seville Marmalade, Cheddar and Chilli Muffins
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 medium egg
- 240 ml milk
- 100 g unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 tablespoons Classic Seville Orange Marmalade (chop the shreds if chunky)
- 150 g grated carrot
- 80 g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh red chilli
- freshly ground black pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C Gas Mark 5. Place 12 muffin paper cases into a muffin tin.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl and stir in the salt. Break the egg into a jug and beat in the milk. Add the melted butter and marmalade and stir well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Using a metal spoon, stir until the ingredients are just combined, adding the carrot, cheese, chilli and black pepper with the final stokes. You must not beat this mixture or stir it too much. It should be quite lumpy, but there should be no traces of dry flour.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden. Serve while warm.
Always use proper cooks measuring spoons and level them off for accurate results. Remember, the secret of successful muffins is to avoid over-mixing when adding the wet ingredients to the dry ones – just stir until combined.
Marmalades Made Easy
Incredibly simple to make, and temptingly tasty to try…
let’s get preserving!