Old fashioned parkin
- 110g butter (softened)
- 110g Tate & Lyle Dark Soft Brown Sugar
- 55g black treacle
- 200g golden syrup
- 225g oatmeal
- 110g self-raising flour
- 2tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1tbsp milk
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 140ºC/275ºF/Gas Mark 1 and grease and line a square cake tin.
- Melt the butter, Tate & Lyle Dark Soft Brown Sugar treacle and golden syrup in a pan, but do not boil. When melted, remove from the heat and put to one side.
- Measure the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Gradually add the melted butter mixture and stir. Pour in the eggs and milk and stir again.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin and bake in the oven for an hour an a half.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then turn out and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Always eat the parkin a day or two later – it gets stickierwith age!
- Store for 24-48 hours before serving.