1.5 - 2 hrs
- 4 large egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Golden Caster Sugar 225g
- 3-4 drops vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cornflour
- Whipped fresh cream, to serve
- Raspberries and strawberries, to serve
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 130°C /Fan 110°C/ Gas 1/2. Line 2 baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment.
- Put the egg whites into a large, perfectly clean, grease-free bowl. Add the pinch of salt. Whisk until they hold their shape, but stop once they do. Over-whipping at this stage can cause the egg whites to separate.
- Add half the Tate & Lyle Golden Caster Sugar, whisking well. Whisk in the vanilla extract, then the cornflour, then add the remaining sugar and whisk until the whites are stiff and glossy.
- Place 6 heaped mounds of the meringue onto each baking sheet, spreading them out slightly, though allowing space between them.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 1½ -2 hours to dry out, then switch off the oven and leave the meringues inside until completely cooled (unless you need your oven). When cold, carefully remove them from the baking paper.
- Serve with whipped fresh cream, raspberries and strawberries.
This type of meringue is ‘dried-out’ in the oven at a low temperature – you can open the oven door at any time without fear of them collapsing.