Gooey Sea Salted Caramel Brownies
For the brownie
- 150g butter
- 40g Fairtrade dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 2 large eggs
- 150g Tate & Lyle Dark Soft Brown Sugar
- 1tbsp Greek-style natural yogurt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 150g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- Generous pinch of sea salt flakes
For the topping
- 50g butter
- 50g Tate & Lyle Dark Soft Brown Sugar
- 2tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 2-3 pinches sea salt flakes (for sprinkling)
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5. Line a 23cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Over a very low heat, gently melt the butter and chocolate, stirring occasionally. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Do this with an electric whisk on full speed for about 5 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and vanilla, then pour in the melted butter and chocolate and mix gently until combined.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder together. Fold into the chocolate mixture with a pinch of sea salt, using a large metal spoon. Pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes and check with a skewer - it should come out clean. If not, bake for another 5 minutes. Cool in the tin for half an hour on a wire rack.
- For the topping, melt the butter, Tate & Lyle Soft Dark Soft Brown Sugar and Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a saucepan over a gentle heat, then boil steadily for exactly 1 minute. Cool for 1-2 minutes, then pour over the brownies and sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Leave to cool before cutting into 9 squares.