Golden Carrot Cake
for the cake
- 150g Tate & Lyle Golden Granulated Sugar
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 3 large eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 1 rounded tsp cinnamon
- large pinch nutmeg
- 250g carrots (peeled & coarsely grated)
- 50g walnut pieces
- 50g raisins
- 1 medium orange (zested)
for the icing & decoration
- 110g Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- 1½ tbsp orange juice
- 25g walnut pieces
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°Fan/Gas 4.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the oil and Tate & Lyle Golden Granulated Sugar together, then beat in the eggs. Sift over the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and lightly fold in with a metal spoon until smooth.
- Stir in the carrots, walnuts, raisins and orange zest.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown and a fine skewer comes out clean when poked in the middle. Cool for 30 minutes in the tin then turn out onto a wire rack, remove the parchment and leave to cool completely.
- Sift the Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar into a bowl and stir in the orange juice to make a slightly thickened icing. Pour over the cake, scatter with walnuts, lightly dust with a little Tate & Lyle Icing Cane Sugar, arrange on a plate and serve.
You will also need a 23cm (9”) loaf tin, greased and the base lined with parchment paper.