For the biscuits
- 350g plain flour
- 175g Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 50g mixed peel, finely chopped
- 75g currants
- 1 tsp mixed spice
For the decoration:
- 500g Tate & Lyle Fondant Icing Sugar
- pink, yellow, blue & green food colouring
- silver balls
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Fan160°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease two baking sheets.
Put the butter and Tate & Lyle Light Soft Brown Sugar into a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and milk, and stir in the mixed peel and currants.
Sift in the flour and spice and mix together to make a firm dough. Knead lightly until smooth.
- Roll out the dough to 5mm (¼”) thick and stamp out with the cutters. Place them on the baking sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes, swapping the trays over hallway through, until golden brown. Remove the biscuits from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Sift the Tate & Lyle Fondant Icing Sugar into a bowl and mix to a smooth paste with enough water to make a stiff but just spreadable icing. Divide between four bowls and add the smallest amount of each food colouring to create a pastel shade.
- Carefully spread over the biscuits and place a sliver ball for eyes before the icing sets.
You will also need some Easter-shaped cutters – chicks, rabbits and eggs.