For the cake
- 180ml sunflower oil
- 125g Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 225g peeled and trimmed carrots (finely grated)
- 100g walnut pieces
- 175g plain flour (use wholemeal if preferred)
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 180g soft cream cheese
- 50g Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Grease and line the base of a 2cm/8” deep, round cake tin. Heat the oven to 170C/325F/gas 3. Set aside a tablespoon of the walnuts and chop the rest.
- Place the oil, Tate & Lyle Light Muscovado Sugar and eggs into a large bowl and beat until thick and creamy, use a hand held electric mixer if available.
- Add the vanilla essence then stir in the chopped walnuts and carrots. Sift the dry ingredients together then fold into the cake mixture. Turn into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes. Test with a skewer which should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven, cool in the tin 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the topping put the cream cheese and Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar into a bowl and beat together until smooth and creamy. Spread over the top of the cake and scatter over the reserved walnuts, chopping them into small pieces if preferred
Grate the zest of one orange in to the cream cheese topping to add a zingy twist to your carrot cake.