Brown Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream
- 250ml whole milk
- 250ml whipping cream
- 100g Tate & Lyle Dark Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 vanilla pod – split, seeds removed
- 115 g unsalted butter – diced
- 4 drops lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- A pinch of salt
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- In a medium sized pan mix the milk, cream and half the Tate & Lyle Dark Soft Brown Sugar. Add the seeds from the vanilla pod, plus the split pod itself. Bring to the boil then immediately remove from the heat and set to one side. After 10 minutes or so remove the pod.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. When the butter just starts to brown, add the lemon juice and take off the heat. Leave to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks, the remaining Tate & Lyle Sugar and the salt. Whisk in the cooled butter, a little at a time, then slowly whisk in the cream and milk mixture.
- Pour this mixture into another saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles a thin custard. Strain into a bowl and leave to cool completely.
- When cool, freeze for around 24 hours in a suitable container, but remove from the freezer and whisk thoroughly with an electric whisk every hour for the first three hours.