3 x 450g jars
- 300 g Tate & Lyle Dark or Light Muscovado Sugar
- 2 red onions (finely chopped)
- 2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 large red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 70 g piece of fresh root ginger (peeled and grated)
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp black onion seeds
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 200 ml malt vinegar
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
1. Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan and heat until boiling, stirring to mix. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour, without a lid, until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Stir occasionally.
2. While the sauce is cooking, sterilize 3 x 450g jars by washing them in hot soapy water, rinsing well, then placing them in a low oven at 150°C/Fan 130°C/Gas Mark 2 for 15 minutes.
3. Check that the sauce is the right consistency – it needs to be quite thick (it will only thicken a little more as it cools). Pot the hot sauce into the hot jars, then seal and leave to cool.
For a slightly smokier flavour, choose smoked paprika instead of the regular variety.