2 hours 30 mins
FOR THE MERINGUE
- Caster Sugar 200g (8oz) Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp white vinegar
FOR THE CAKE
- 65g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Caster Sugar 100g Tate & Lyle Caster Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
For the ice-cream filling
- 950ml strawberry ice cream, slightly softened
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- For the ice cream filling, line a large bowl (around 7 inches or 17 cm in diameter) with cling film, allowing excess to hang over the edges of the bowl. Place the softened strawberry ice cream into the bowl, making sure it is quite compact and without gaps and smooth the top. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, until solid.
- To make the cake, preheat your oven to 160°C/140°C (fan) and grease a round cake tin (8 inches or 20 cm in diameter).
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour and salt together. In a medium-sized bowl, using a hand mixer beat the sugar and the eggs for around 5 minutes, until light and fluffy and triple in volume. Add in the lemon juice and the zest and fold in the flour mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the buttered round tin and bake for 25 minutes. Leave to cool.
- For the meringue, heat your oven to 230°C/210°C(fan). In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the egg whites and white vinegar for around 1 minute, until it starts to form soft peaks. Add in gently the caster sugar, and beat for 2 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- To serve, place the cake on a lined baking sheet, and place the ice-cream onto it, making sure to remove the cling film. Using a spatula, cover the cake and ice cream dome with the meringue mixture. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes, or until light brown. Gently transfer to a large plate and serve immediately.
The key to success for this recipe is to keep the ice cream as cold as feasible and turn up the oven as high as possible.